Monday, March 8, 2010

What "little r" Has Been Up To

No new posts since Feb 28th?! What is happening to us people! Penguin year team - lets pull out the stops this week!

In honor of my lack of blogging, I would like to explain what I have been doing instead. Nothing is a good replacement for some enjoyable reading but this blog is also about what KEEPS me from doing the reading I love and since it has been quite a while since I finished a letter, I thought I would share.

I think the first stumbling block was my letter "E" itself. Electra and other plays by Euripedes. Oy. All tragedies. what was I thinking? I hate tragedy! Positive energy! I started it with the play "Andromache" which was all about death and murder and rape and other awful things, in ancient Greece. Needless to say, I couldn't get into it. I have skipped ahead to the last play (I think there are about five) which is the namesake of the book, Electra. It is also beginning with tragedy but I am hoping it picks up a little more.

In other news, I have been working like crazy in the department. So many tests, article critiques, and thesis related projects to work on I have been in the office more than my usual 45-50 hours. Last week, I got home one night at 630, which was EARLY and I thought to myself, I have made some poor life decisions. I know it will turn out in the long run but some days, oy.

In good news, my thesis is coming along swimmingly; I am completely decided on the design all those other good things, now its implementing and writing, writing, writing about it to get it going.

Please share what is keeping YOU from doing the reading you love.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading the Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens. I've had it for over a week and I'm only on page 87. It's partly because I've been working on some volunteer art stuff but mostly because I was having a hard time getting into the first few chapters. I think it's finally going to get more interesting. I thought it was about this girl but the first few chapters were a bunch of old guys scheming about her. I have to finish it by Friday though, so hopefully I'll get some more motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Joyce way back on Thurs., but just haven't had time to blog about it (been working full days, and usually too out of it when I come home to put together coherent sentences). Since then, I've been reading the AMAZING finale to the Keys to the Kingdom series that I've been waiting for for about a year and a half now.

    The good news is I just finished that last night and am starting Kerouac today, and this is my first day off in a week, so I'll be blogging about Joyce later :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Poor life decisions?! WHAT?

    I guess I'm right there with you, some days I don't know why I threw away my life to pursue something that seems so far out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm sounds like poor life decisions could be an interesting post allison....

    ReplyDelete