Saturday, March 20, 2010

I give up on Dickens

As the title of this post has already told you, I give up on Dickens.  I picked "The Old Curiosity Shop" by Charles Dickens as my "D" book.  I had never heard of the book before but I thought it was going to be about a young girl who lived with her grandfather in a curiosity shop.  I tried to finish the book.  I really tried but I couldn't do it.  I read my first three books in 2 weeks, no problem.  I had this book checked out for two weeks and had to check it out again to get extra time.  I have had it for over a week since I re-checked the book and only read a couple of chapters even though I was on spring break.  I found the writing to be kind of dry and I just didn't have any motivation.  Today I did something I never do, I skipped ahead in the book to see if it was going to get more interesting.  I pulled out my book mark and placed the book by the door to return to the library.

Here are my official observations from what I actually read before giving up.

  • The beginning of the book is kind of creepy.  The young girl, Nell, is "not yet 14" and all these men are talking about marrying her because they hope her grandfather is secretly rich.
  • There is a character named Dick Swiveller.  So at least his name was amusing.
  • One of the characters, Mr.Quilp is just a mean and nasty guy.  (<--- understatement.)
  • Dickens does trash talk!  This part cracked me up so I'm going to post a little excerpt.
Then, and not until then, Daniel Quilp found himself, all flushed and disshevelled, in the middle of the street, with Mr.Richard Swiveller performing a kind of dance round him and requiring to know "whether he wanted any more?"
"There's plenty more of it at the same shop," said Mr.Swiveller, by turns advancing and retreating in a threatening attitude, "a large and extensive assortment always on hand- country orders executed with promptitude and despatch- will you have a little more, sir?- don't say no, if you'd rather not."
Should I try another Dickens book?  If I do, it'll be awhile.

4 comments:

  1. I would suggest "A Tale of Two Cities" to anyone, I thought it was fantastic.

    I would also like to read "A Christmas Carol" at some point or another as well, but I can't recommend that one, as I haven't read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll give A Tale of Two Cities a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Tale of Two Cities as well as Great Expectations. I love how in Dickens there are all these disparate elements coming together for a huge plot twist in the end. Its intense! They do usually take a little getting into though. Id never heard of this book either - and Dickens has tons of them. I guess it was one of his lesser works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was the flaw with my plan of choosing the book I knew less about going into it... there's probably a reason I never heard about it before!

    ReplyDelete