Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Prelude to "F"


Onto "F" which I meant to pick up a while ago at the library and just now did. Ben Franklin's autiobiography and other writings is my next selection. I am excited to begin this because Ben Franklin was an interesting character.

Not only was he a founding father and invented lots of cool things, like the farmers alamanac, bifocals, etc Im sure I will be able to add to this later. He also endorsed some pretty unpopular views for the time and was pretty open about it. He was pretty open as an abolitionist (I think) and as a bit of a flirt/philanderer. He totally had a son out of wedlock and still took care of the kid and was kinda like yeah...what now? Pretty out of the box at the time.

Additionally, and this might be the part I am most excited about, the edition I found at the library, totally accidentally, has illustrations by Thomas Hart Benton! I really enjoy Thomas Hart Benton, I discovered this love from the painting I put on this post which is in the KU Spencer Art Museum gallery, one of the first things I saw on campus. And hes a Midwesterner! Represent!

Anyway, hopefully I can keep the reading public (if it exists) better updated on this book as I move along.

Happy reading all!

little r

Note: The title of this painting is "The Ballad of the Jealous Lover of Lone Green Valley"

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that painting! I'm glad I got to see it in person last spring, showed it to some students about a month ago and they enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete