Thursday, April 15, 2010

moby dick (melville)

Ah.. Moby Dick. The halfway point in my series.

From what I understand, this is supposed to be one of the greatest (if not greatest) novels in the English language. An allegory for America at the time, it follows Ishmal, a sailor on a whaling ship, as he deals with his crazy captain who is hell-bent on killing the massive white whale, known as Moby Dick.

Maybe I am just dumb (which I've been told quite recently is probably true), but I just don't get it. The writing is wonderful. The base story was really great and intriguing. I really enjoyed that part of it.. but the extraneous stuff on whale lore, knowledge, and hunting was so hard to get through for me. I hated having to wade through 100+ pages of information that I felt was largely unnecessary.

I think if I were to read the abridged version I would love it. As it stands now, I'm a little disappointed. But I'm just clueless, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment