Friday, January 15, 2010

The Year of the Penguin - The Beginning

The Year of the Penguin is a blog about books. Exciting, challenging, wonderful books. I've had a love affair with them for years now.

The project includes more than just me (little r) and actually started a while ago.

So, we really started this last summer after reading a different blog. http://bloggingtheclassics.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/the-penguin-classics-challenge/ A friend and fellow blogger, whom you will get to read (yay!) enlightened a few of us to this blog and the challenge and we decided to try it.

The challenge, at its most basic, is to read a classic for every letter of the alphabet (by author). I like it because its a way to read stuff that I have been meaning to read for years but have been unmotivated/uninspired to really try. I mean, I know I should have read Ulysses by now but the name "Ulysses" just makes me think of the civil war and smoking cigars while getting wasted in a cabin so I have never gotten myself to even open the book. Unfair stereotype to Joyce and President Grant I know.

This blog is going to track our progress and be a place for us tot alk about what we are reading and what is slowing is down from finishing, you know, those things like life, other books, boys, etc.

3 comments:

  1. WAIT! We get to talk about boys here?! Hahaha..

    Also, I love your view of Ulysses. I completely agree! It's a great opportunity to read things I never would have read on my own, and so far I've been really pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to complete my list and get started! My problem is that there are so many I want to read, I end up with a primary list and at least a secondary list! Maybe I'll just decide based on what is actually at the library...

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I think that is a good strategy. I think allison made a second list as well as a first one.

    ReplyDelete