Sunday, August 18, 2013

Books into Movies: Not into "Out of Africa"

I should preface this by saying I was unable to finish the book OR the movie.

The book: This book did have some interesting tales. It was written as a series of mini-stories within the larger tale of "how I owned a giant coffee farm in Kenya". The colonialist nonsense I was able to deal with it and roll with the "ok, uncool but that was the context at the time" but my main issue was I just didn't find it very interesting! I think this book had potential, great material to work with, it just didn't come together for me. That may be due to the time this was written and that it is adapted from her journal. Anyway, I bailed about halfway through. There are just too many cool books out there!

The movie: The movie was VERY loosely based on the book. I made it about twenty minutes in. The movie also has some interesting material to work with but it's totally NOT from the book, at least the first twenty minutes. I mean this was MERYL FRIGGING STREEP and I couldn't keep my attention. Meryl even had an accent going. And Robert Redford is dead sexy. The colonialism crap was a bit thicker in the movie, harder to ignore/keep in context. This would be a good movie to watch to illustrate the ideas and problems of colonial depictions actually. But I was just not interested.

Recommendation: Don't read/watch.

2 comments: