Friday, January 14, 2011

"M" is still for Montgomery

So here is my review of my proper "M" book. Didn't seem right to assign myself a book I had already read, so I assigned the sequel (question: is it really a sequel when there are 10+ books in the series?) to myself but then felt the need to re-read the first book before starting the second.

Here is my initial review posted on my goodreads.com page (LOVE THAT WEBSITE PEOPLE!)

"Another great book with Anne of Green Gables. I was scared starting this book that it would be a letdown, like many sequels are, but it stayed quite well with what worked great in the first book - neat characters who play and grow. You still get a lot of the fun and silliness of Anne, though within an appropriate adult context, as she is now a school teacher. I do wish there was a little more Marilla in this book, because she is hilarious, but I can see that there is more to comes from this series and I am excited to keep reading"

I still agree. I have trouble describing how much these books take me back to the great parts of my childhood and bring back that young "imagination" that I feel like many adults lose in the worries of bills, jobs, kids, etc. Its not so much that it makes me think of some specific part of my childhood, but just that I read it then, and it reminds me of the things that I connected with then and renews my excites about those things, while giving me the opportunity to laugh at myself and find new parts of the book to connect with.

As a kid I loved Anne and connected with her in some ways - the way she loves to use big words and has red hair. Now I laugh at how similar I really was to her in some ways - mostly the big words and red hair (but also the DRAMA) and how STILL SIMILAR I am in many of those ways (really only my hair color has changed, let it be known, I was unwilling in that, it just happened).

I want to use more big words now. I feel my perspicacity has lessened now.

LOLZ.

Here is a link to the wordle I created based on the first chapter

title="Wordle: Anne of Avonlea"> src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/2988280/Anne_of_Avonlea"
alt="Wordle: Anne of Avonlea"
style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">

No comments:

Post a Comment