Sunday, November 14, 2010

"I" is for Irving

For my "I" book I chose the collected short stories of Washington Irving. This book, while ok, made me realize an error I created in my original list. I had chosen so many American writers of this era (pre-Civil war) that when I got to this book, I must say I was getting a little sick of that time period and writing style.

This book was allright, though honestly, I didnt finish it. Usually I can get myself to slog through but I thought of something a librarian had told my grandma (who works in a library) that we had discussed. This librarian's philosophy was that boos aren't worth slogging through, if they don't grab you in the first hundred pages or so (I know...100 pages, but considering I have read 300 pages of Harry Potter in the last days I guess thats really not much) they aren't worth the effort, because there are SO MANY OTHER GREAT BOOKS OUT THERE!! I got a little stuck on this idea while trying to get through this book. I'd really like to know others' ideas on this concept.

I did read a few short stories, and I definitely enjoyed reading the original "Rip Van Winkle" story, though definitely, the wishbone version was stuck in my head the whole time, lol. Oh Wishbone, that show really stuck with me, even though I don't remember being that into it.

In other news, my apologies for the lateness of this post, I definitely abandoned this book in like, September.

No comments:

Post a Comment